[T3] Alignment

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Mon Jan 9 18:12:22 PST 2017

On 9 Jan 2017 at 20:46, Keith Park wrote:

> The machine is only as good as the person using it.

And I'm sure that occasional recalibration is important when trying
to make measurements to a fraction of a degree. It might be useful to
ask when/how this machine was last recalibrated.

The alignment shop that I use is definitely old school. He does not
have one of the modern alignment platforms with all the optical
stuff. There's just one alignment measuring device and he calibrates
it by sticking it to a metal plate cast into a nearby concrete wall.
He can check that plate periodically with a level to make sure that
it's still perfectly vertical.

I suspect that his system is not accurate to better than 0.1 or 0.2
deg, but that's close enough. His big advantage is that he's been
doing this for 40 years, so he's seen everything and nothing
surprises him. When I first talked to him about doing a Type 3 he
wasn't sure he remembered it correctly, so he started asking
questions about the suspension. It quickly became clear that his
memory was still good.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org