[T3] cool weather idle hunt

Daniel Nohejl d.nohejl at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 18:59:27 PST 2017

I seem to recall reading that one could even repurpose the rear window defroster relay as an FI power relay which would seem to indicate that it’s a fairly standard 12V relay. But what do I know?

My ground wire goes from a female tab on the relay to a ring connector under the relay and screw. The ring connector is what I was able to rotate on account of the loose screw. Is there something to put under that screw to make it grip better? I also wonder if anyone else has encountered a relay that is bent too far toward the front of the car to get a screwdriver to the ground screw without having to push the relay back down towards the floor pan. I recall that from right when we got the car almost 5 years ago and each time I touch the FI power relay I’m reminded of it.