[T3] cool weather idle hunt

Daniel Nohejl d.nohejl at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 13:19:02 PST 2017

> I THINK you've consistently referred to this as a "warm idle lope."
> What if it's the result of the idle speed being set too low. The FI
> will sense that it's too low and try to boost it up a bit to keep the
> engine from dying.
>
> Try increasing your idle speed adjustment a tiny amount, maybe 50
> rpm.

Yes, an intermittent “warm idle lope”. Back in early December, we measured that it dipped below 700rpm in this condition. We raised it back up to 950, and once the idle “recovered” it was way too high. I tried to explain this a few days ago but I don’t think I was clear. Anyway, on Friday, under normal conditions, we raised the idle about 50rpm, and it had no effect. The lope returned.

I also finally pulled the AAR. The adjustment was all the way at the minus end and the screw was loose enough that I could swivel the lower spring portion of the AAR back and forth with my fingers though it took a little bit of effort. I tightened the screw back up and reinstalled it. With the screw out, everything had free and unobstructed movement in all directions. Anyway, here’s what it looks like now

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1596536.jpg <http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1596536.jpg>
And here’s what it looked like when I installed it in January of last year…..the adjustment has definitely moved since last year! This might explain my "cold idle hunt" but I’m not sure about the intermittent “warm idle lope”. Also, don’t be alarmed….we had to remove some metal last year b/c the Brazilian universal replacement cases have a D shaped opening rather than the O shaped opening of German cases. The AAR didn’t fit so we had to Dremel off some metal to get it in.

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1445719.jpg <http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1445719.jpg>