[T3] rear hatch/hinge issue

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Mon Jan 30 07:29:53 PST 2017

On 30 Jan 2017 at 8:09, Daniel Nohejl wrote:

> Unfortunately, shops and shop classes have long since disappeared from
> pretty much all NYC public schools. I´m pretty sure both of our
> schools never even had one to begin with. I´m more than happy to pay
> someone to make the tool though. Any takers?

Melissa and I have some errands to do this morning. I'll stop at
Harbor Freight and see if I can find a suitable screwdriver. If so,
I'll bend up a tool, per the drawing you posted.

I bought my first Squareback on March 2, 1968. That was because in
Indiana you had to pay property tax on whatever you owned on March 1,
so the dealer was a little upset that he was going to have to pay the
tax. I'd only had the car a few weeks, when one of the torsion bars
for the front hood slipped out of place. Those bars have the same
sort of shepherd's crook end on them and it was the end of that loop
that slipped out. Rather than take it back to the dealer, I worked on
it myself and finally got it back into place. I don't remember how I
did it, but I do remember that it was quite a struggle and that much
later, when I saw the photo of the VW709 tool I realized how much
easier that would have made this job.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org