[T3] 1966 Type 3 Squareback

Sean Bartnik sjbartnik at mac.com
Mon Jan 30 10:19:54 PST 2017

There are a lot of possibilities.

Consider that when the engine is cold compression is relatively low and therefore relatively easy to turn over. When the engine is warmed up all the internal parts have expanded and the compression is higher, therefore more difficult for the starter to physically turn over.

First to investigate would be the battery. How old is it?  Make sure it is fully charged and have it load-tested by your local auto parts store. Replace if it fails the load test.

Make sure battery cables are clean and tight especially including battery ground strap.

Make sure the ground strap between the transmission and the body is intact and clean.

Inspect the condition of the large wire that runs from the battery to terminal 30 on the starter. Make sure it's not broken, corroded, etc. A poor connection there can provide a lot of electrical resistance when the starter is working hard.

If all this stuff checks out it may simply be that the starter motor is worn out and may need rebuilding.

It sounds like you are not having any issues with the ignition switch or solenoid.

-Sean