[T3] rear hatch/hinge issue

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Jan 31 17:52:46 PST 2017

On 31 Jan 2017 at 16:57, Daniel Nohejl wrote:

> Clearly to take the rear door off I need to unbolt it from both
> hinges, but are there any tricky bits to be aware of? The wiring for
> example? Or does it all pull out of the grommets easily and tuck out
> of the way?

Taking the rear door off is easy, except for the wiring. There will
be a ground wire for the rear window heater that will disconnect
easily at the body end. The power side of that is difficult.

The wiring to the license plate light is also difficult.

To take these out without cutting wires, requires removal of the
vinyl panel and unthreading of those wires from all the way inside
the door. I do it this way.

The easy way is to cut the wires and install butt splices when you're
finished. If you choose this route, do it carefully.

Either way, be very careful to note how VW threaded the wiring around
the hinges to keep them out of the way.

I can imagine an alternative way, with something overhead that you
could suspend the door from, in exactly the right orientation, so
that the hot wires did not have to be broken or disconnected. Few of
use would have the right setup to do it this way.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org