[T3] DOT5 and Brake Light Switches

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jul 15 09:58:53 PDT 2017

On 15 Jul 2017 at 16:18, Jacob Hoffman wrote:

> Has there been any more movement on the frequent brake switch failures?
> I have a '71 Squareback with this problem. I have dot5 in it. I have
> gone through many switches in it. I currently have no brake lights, so
> need to replace the switches again. What is the current recommendation?
> Like Jim, I would like to retain the three pin if possible.

I don't know any more than I did a year ago. I have also had a few failures,
although things have gone well for the past few years. I don't know if it's a
solution, but I have a few Meyle ($) european-made switches and some
German ($$$) ones. Both seem to be working for me so far.  I never had
much luck with the Brazilian switches.

I have taken quite a few failed switches apart over the years and have not
yet found dot-5 in the switch portion of any of them. I've never seen any
compatibility problems between the rubber diaphram that each of these has
and dot-5. OTOH, I frequently find problems that I can blame on the original
manufacturing or design.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org