[T3] I pulled my Interstate battery july 12th to check thelevel , found the Interstae MT-42 was leaking.

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Sat Jul 15 16:49:10 PDT 2017

 I added enough water to make it about a 50/50 mix plus it was not that
large an area . I first scrapped off the dry white crust then applied the
soda mix , it only bubbled one time yet I did it 4 times. and now see shiny
bare metal in that area. Each time I soaked a rag and wiped it up and the
last time I used a bit more water then dried it with an old hair dryer then
took a old shop vac and vacuumed all the left over bits of rust I scrapped
off . I went over it twice with a small wire brush with the soda mix just to
make certain in was working in well and also a brown scotch bright after the
wire brush . Once the weather cools off hopefully by Nov I'll wire wheel the
entire area and paint it. I never bothered before because all it had was
surface rust just where the floor is not covered by the dk brown insulation
stuff and all of that is stuck down real well and no rust at the edges.

 I also wanted to ask because I can't find any info . On these group 42
batteries are all of them rebuilt ? I know the Interstate ones here are I
had an Autozone battery before I got in 2009 and it looked new meaning the
botton and sides were not all scratched up . I seems only older cars use
this size . Before the Interstate I used to get them from a Ford dealer I
worked at same exact battery and Interstate made them that was 2000 and
don't recall them showing signs of being rebuilt. I imagine many newer car
batteries are new yet there are only a few places that sell group 42 which
as I said are all for older cars .