[T3] I pulled my Interstate battery july 12th to check the level , found the Interstae MT-42 was leaking.

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jul 15 15:38:48 PDT 2017

On 15 Jul 2017 at 14:19, William J wrote:

>  I just mixed baking soda and water into a paste and let it sit a bit
> then used a small brush to apply. I don't want to use much water since
> flushing it all will go everywhere

That's the right thing to do, but you have to use enough water to allow it to
soak into every place where acid might have gotten. Excess water is no
problem. Excess soda is no problem. Excess acid IS a problem.

You're done when wiping it up with a damp sponge and applying more
water/soda mix doesn't cause any more bubbling. Then wipe up with a damp
sponge, add just water, and wipe up again. Rinse and repeat. Let dry.

I would treat the area with LPS-3 to prevent further rust, but it needs to be
completely dry first.

The battery caps are ultrasonically welded to the body. Something went
wrong here, and that's rare. It's a mature technology.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org