[T3] I pulled my Interstate battery july 12th to check thelevel, found the Interstae MT-42 was leaking.

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jul 15 22:24:49 PDT 2017

On 15 Jul 2017 at 20:47, William J wrote:

>  I should have said recycled .

One summer in the early or mid 60s I had a job at a local Wards
store. One of the things I did that summer was load a semi with a
year's worth of trade-in batteries that their auto service shop had
collected. They showed me that I could pick up a battery with a 9/16"
box end wrench on one of the battery posts. The trick was to swing
the battery thru an arc then give the wrench just the right tweak to
release the battery in mid-flight and let it sail to the front of the
semi.

We loaded a whole semi in a couple days. No one worried about the
spilled acid. I think that truck only got used for battery recycling
and the acid probably meant that this semi was on its last legs
anyway.

BTW, I doubt if Interstate makes any batteries themselves. There are
probably only 2-3 battery manufacturers in the US. I know that
Johnson Controls in Milwaukee makes many brands, to many different
standards, and I suspect that Exide is another manufacturer. There
may be another. I have a friend who worked as a lead/acid battery
consultant for many years. He would know the details.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org