[T3] 73 SB atuo trans electric AAR ?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jul 30 12:12:20 PDT 2017

On 30 Jul 2017 at 11:56, William J wrote:

> In the last few months when I start the car and it's in park the idle
> is 900 RPM then after about 2 minutes it comes up to 1300 RPM then
> after another 2 minutes it drops back down to 900 RPM .

Sounds like it has gotten a bit sticky, so it sticks in the (warm) position it was
in the last time you shut down the engine, then once it warms up enough to
free itself, it's already warm enough that it won't open fully.

If you have time, the solution may be to remove it and fill it with ATF. Then
power it with your battery charger thru a few warm/cool cycles and then
dump out the ATF. Diluting the ATF with some acetone or mineral spirits
might also help dissolve the stuff in there that's keeping it sticky. You may
want to repeat this several times, until the ATF comes out clean.

The electrically heated AARs have a record of seizing up, presumably from
deposits in them. I don't know any other way to solve this problem, and this
doesn't always work. You have a good chance, since yours is still moving;
the odds get much worse once they get completely stuck.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org