[T3] New AC kit for type 3s

dlstiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Mon Jul 31 16:28:33 PDT 2017

I know they are some folks on this list who are not fans of air
conditioning on our cars as the old dealer installed system was not that
great of a set up. I think this system from Gilmore deals with some of
the problems the dealer set up had. The modern compressor only takes
1.25-1.5 hp according to the web page. A weed eater could handle this
compressor but nothing else of course.  The under dash unit is smaller
and dose not seem to take as much space as the old dealer set up
therefor it doesn't block as much of the access to the wiring under the
dash. The draw backs I see is it looks like it takes away the space for
the spare tire and it says it's only for 64-70 so not sure if there
would be a way to make it work with the later model dash like my 72 has.
I guess I'd have to call and ask about that. Also if drilling a few
holes in your car makes you week in the knees it might not be for you as
well. Has anybody out there used one of Gilmore's other ac kits on a
type 1 or 2? Do they work good or have you had any issues after put in
service. They have been promising an AC kit for type 3s for many years
on their web page. Now it looks like they have one. It would make my car
much more pleasant to drive about 5 months out of the year for this part
of the country. Although it may be a while before I can scrape up the
almost $1700 for the kit. Here is a link.

http://www.gilmore-enterprises.net/inc/sdetail/air_conditioner_kit__type_3__black_textured_under_dash_unit/138/551

Dennis Stiefel
72 Fastback FI MT
Rainsville, AL