[T3] gas mileage, voltage, etc.

Daniel Nohejl d.nohejl at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 03:56:46 PDT 2017

> You gave a good list of the things you've checked, including the SP wires.
> Did you check each resistance? Any chance that one SP connector resistor
> has gone open? That can give you an intermittent miss, which will suck gas.

The #3 spark plug wire read 12 mega ohms which is something like 12 million ohms, right? So I guess that could be one of the culprits!

I replaced the wire and started the car back up. It didn’t idle as well as I would’ve thought and the exhaust note sounded ever so slightly off. In addition, the exhaust smelled smelled really rich, almost eye-stingingly so. I figured I’d drive a block or so and see what was up. The motor felt under-powered and when I let off the throttle the exhaust let out a really loud pop, the kind you get when you mis-wire the plugs and try to start the car, but I checked and all the wires were correctly connected.

I deduced that the #3 plug was probably fouled and that since the injector was still plugged in, it was still shooting gas into the cylinder which was then unburned or only partly burned thus causing the pop as the fuel got into the exhaust. Since I was only 4 blocks from home, I thought I’d unplug the #3 injector so I didn’t pop all the way home and scare the whole neighborhood. As expected, it drove poorly on 3 cylinders. It didn’t pop at all out the exhaust until I was about two doors from my building. Not sure why.

My guess now is that unless the points suddenly decided to pit up or the rubbing block wore down there’s at least one fouled plug….most likely at #3. Not sure what accounts for the final pop when driving on 3 cylinders but I’ll check all the plugs tomorrow as well as dwell and timing.

Sound like a plan? Unless I’ve missed something?