[T3] gas mileage, voltage, etc.

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Jun 23 05:57:15 PDT 2017

On 23 Jun 2017 at 6:56, Daniel Nohejl wrote:

> The #3 spark plug wire read 12 mega ohms which is something like 12
> million ohms, right? So I guess that could be one of the culprits!

Okay, that's a good thing to find. Do you need another SP connector?

> I replaced the wire and started the car back up. It didn´t idle as
> well as I would´ve thought and the exhaust note sounded ever so
> slightly off. In addition, the exhaust smelled smelled really rich,
> almost eye-stingingly so.

Pressure sensor hose disconnected?

> I thought I´d unplug the #3 injector so I didn´t pop all
> the way home and scare the whole neighborhood. As expected, it drove
> poorly on 3 cylinders. It didnTMt pop at all out the exhaust until I
> was about two doors from my building. Not sure why.

A good thing to do. Did it smell better then?

> My guess now is that unless the points suddenly decided to pit up or
> the rubbing block wore down there´s at least one fouled plug....most
> likely at #3. Not sure what accounts for the final pop when driving on
> 3 cylinders but I´ll check all the plugs tomorrow as well as dwell and
> timing.

Traditional fouled plugs involved lead compounds condensing on the SP
insulator. With lead free gas, that doesn't happen anymore, but it's still
possible for carbon to get on there.

I don't suspect the ignition points, but when was the last time I looked at your
distributor? If that was WAY back when, I may not have reset the trigger
points (Do you remember?) I only figured out how to do this maybe 3-5 years
ago.

Or, I hate to suggest this, maybe we've found yet another bad brain....

Jim

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org