[T3] gas mileage, voltage, etc.

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jun 25 09:47:35 PDT 2017

On 25 Jun 2017 at 11:18, Daniel Nohejl wrote:

> I pulled all the spark plugs and found an interesting pattern. 1 and 4
> were "fouled" and 2 and 3 were pretty white, despite the fact that on
> Friday #3 looked like 1 and 4 in these pics.
>
> 1 and 4
>
> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1659498.jpg
>
> 2 and 3
>
> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1659499.jpg
>
> I replaced all of them since I didn´t have enough of the same heat
> range to just replace 1 and 4. The ones in the pics are B5HS and I
> replaced them with B6HS. I also recalled (correctly I hope) that the
> trigger points fire 1/4 and 2/3 as pairs and that the condition of my
> plugs followed that. The connector from the harness to the trigger
> points has seemed fairly lo?se. I discovered last week during
> diagnostics that it could be wiggled off the trigger points with
> little effort. I removed the connectors from the plug and tightened
> them up ever so slightly and got a good snug fit when plugging it back
> in.

I believe you did the right thing by suspecting the trigger point connection.
That would certainly cause huge problems, but I don't know if it could cause
damage to the brain.

When tightening connectors, keep in mind that you need to check the fit of
each bare pin on its mate to make sure of the fit. Once the pins are back in
the plastic connector bodies, it's impossible to tell the difference between
snugness of the pins vs. snugness of the plastic body.

> I went for a drive around the neighborhood and nothing was awry.....no
> missing and no weird idling. However, it took a bit of driving for
> things to go wrong yesterday so there´s still every chance that the
> problem will return. Should I have issues again, does it seem that
> today´s discovery means I should replace the trigger points? Or is
> what I found more of a coincidence?

I think you're probably finished. I don't know NGK plug ranges, so someone
else should comment on the plugs you installed.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org