[T3] Hard Starting

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Mar 1 17:42:59 PST 2017

On 1 Mar 2017 at 22:50, J. Jonik wrote:

> Over history, I've found that checking and freshening up connections
> solves more problems than can be counted.  Usually, however, there's
> no way to know which connection was the culprit...unless a broken or
> loose wire is found.  Don't know if that one loose (but not
> disconnected) ground wire was the problem.

Connections are indeed some of the most common problems, but I hate
to see people go at them with a shotgun approach. If it's tight, it's
probably good, but I've seen tight bolted connections that weren't
conductive. That said, that loose ground wire was definitely a good
thing to fix.

> As for the fuel system...I always turn the key about 2 or 3 times
> before trying to start, especially when car's been sitting a while.
> Often, a squeal comes from somewhere (the pump?) that weakens and then
> goes away when fuel lines are all primed, apparently.  Then I start
> the car.  Is this a normal T-3 F I syndrome?

I'm afraid it's pretty common, and I don't have a cure for it, other
than the primer switch. Keep in mind that the '71 ignition switch is
pretty much irreplacable. The primer switch is a cheap way to keep
the old parts going.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org