[T3] Type 3 front break calipers

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Mar 20 18:13:31 PDT 2017

On 20 Mar 2017 at 23:54, Daniel K. Du Vall wrote:

> My question is how to identify a type 3 disk break caliper. I am
> having an issue with my driver side caliper not clamping down and also
> dragging if it does a little bit. So it's either a line fail or a
> sticking caliper or both. I have a set that might be rebuildable but I
> don't know what they are off of. I can tell that they are not
> aftermarket as most that I have seen have a bump in the casting on the
> outer piston.

Type 3 calipers have 42 mm pistons and each piston will have that little bump in
the center, facing the pad. There are 2 versions, early and late. Late calipers
take larger pads and have larger attaching bolts which are spaced farther apart.
The late calipers also have 2 bleed valves. Non-Type 3 pistons will be "hollow."

If your problem is a hose problem, the bleed valve will maybe just barely drip
when you open it. If the hose is good, fluid will flow freely out of the bleed valve
(assuming the bleed valve itself is not clogged with dirt/rust.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org