[T3] Type 3 front break calipers

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Mar 21 09:03:03 PDT 2017

On 21 Mar 2017 at 10:54, Daniel K. Du Vall wrote:

> Sorry to bother you but these seem to have the two bleeders what do you think?
>
> http://www.jbugs.com/product/311615107BR.html?Category_Code=1968-vw-type-3-front-brakes

Those are the Type 1 calipers that everyone sells as replacements for Type
3s. They have 2 bleed valves so they can go on either side and so only one
part number needs to be stocked. They don't have the compensating
mechanism inside the pistons (hollow front pistons) and they don't have the
20 deg cutouts on the piston faces.

Most importantly, they have 40 mm pistons rather than the Type 3 42 mm
pistons: hence a 10% reduction in braking force.

Just another example of why newer is often not better. Note also that they
cost twice as much as rebuilding a good OE caliper.

I also see that these are made by Varga, not ATe, so I don't stock the parts
to rebuild them. I could probably do them, but the price would be higher.

One advantage: They're shiny!  ;-)

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org