[T3] VW Passat with Blumotion engine

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun May 7 18:36:14 PDT 2017

On 7 May 2017 at 17:47, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> I think getting the beam replaced probably would make it fine. I've  used a
> modified super beetle tow bar on my Notch in the past without issues, and
> the 70 Square I've got sitting here still has a super beetle plate attached
> to  it, that's been in place for almost 10 years, but I don't know how much
> action  it's seen.

Gary's original beam failed when the torsion bar anchor twisted out on the L
side. This had nothing to do with the towing. When I cut apart that old beam,
to salvage the bearings inside, I could see that the beam had been crushed
by the U-bolts that we had made to anchor the tow adaptor. Gary may still
have the section I gave him that shows the deformation. Gary, his friend, and
I had all thought the beam was plenty strong in that area, we designed the
attachment to spread out the force, and there was no rust there, but the
damage had been easily done.

We should look at what you did that seems to have worked better, or
perhaps it hasn't. We didn't notice the damage until Gary's beam was cut
apart, and maybe the deformation that happened wasn't ever really a
problem.

There's additional trouble with Gary's square: The left arm, of the pair that
supports the front beam from the pan, seems to be angled slightly upwards
compared to the right arm. I'm guessing that it has given way due to the
torque applied by the pull from the towbar along a line that runs below the
beam. This may be because of rust weakening where the arm attaches to
the pan or it might just be due to stress that the car was not designed for. It
has nothing to do with the deformation of the previous beam by the U-bolts.

We discovered this angle only after my alignment guy couldn't get the LF
caster quite within spec. So I'm guessing that the beam clamps are twisting
the new beam slightly, just a fraction of a degree, but enough to be noticed
during alignment.

It's also possible that the upward angle was there before and we just didn't
notice it. Regardless, I've advised Gary not to tow it any more, just to be
safe.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org