[T3] VW Passat with Blumotion engine

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sun May 7 21:26:15 PDT 2017

In a message dated 5/7/2017 9:36:23 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

There's  additional trouble with Gary's square: The left arm, of the pair
that
supports the front beam from the pan, seems to be angled slightly upwards
compared to the right arm. I'm guessing that it has given way due to the
torque applied by the pull from the towbar along a line that runs below
the
beam. This may be because of rust weakening where the arm attaches to
the pan or it might just be due to stress that the car was not designed
for. It
has nothing to do with the deformation of the previous beam by the  U-bolts.

We discovered this angle only after my alignment guy couldn't  get the LF
caster quite within spec.
Is the trailing arm itself bent, or is the problem in the beam on that
side? I'm wondering if 'the beam had taken a hit on that side long before Gary
got it, and nobody noticed it. Like you said, it was only when it was at
the  alignment shop that it was found. It wouldn't surprise me if there were
others  like that as well (or on the opposite side). I only asked about the
trailing  arm, as VW had gauges to check them for being bent, so they knew it
was possible  to bend them. I realize that VW also had a checking fixture
for the beam itself  too, but I've never seen 1 of those in person. I do have
a spare beam (minus the  spindles) IF Gary needs 1. Shipping could get very
expensive, as it's very  heavy. It's also Texas clean. ;-)

With the super beetle tow bar set up, there's a channel that runs
underneath the beam (capturing it), and the "U" bolts hold it up to the beam. An
alternative is to use flat bar stock and bolts with metal sleeves to
encapsulate  the bottom of the beam. The 70 Square I have here also has an Airtex
pump  installed in the middle of the beam right above the tow bar plate, so
things  start getting tight in that area, but it does all fit.

Bob 65 Notch  w/Factory Sunroof converted to  IRS