[T3] Ken's lean exhaust

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed May 10 09:35:06 PDT 2017

On 10 May 2017 at 9:08, Mara Johnson wrote:

> Hi, which manuals do you recommend for 1966?  Thanks

For years earlier than '68, the '68-71 the Brown Bentley manual is still
excellent. It's no longer in print, but copies come up on ebay:

Volkswagen Official Service Manual
Type 3 Fastback and Squareback 1968-1973
published by Robert Bentley, Cambridge, Mass, 1974
ISBN 0-8376-0057-X / LPV 997 383 / VSQU
(excellent book, complete and well written)

It covers most things, except for carbs and some details which changed in
later cars.

There is also an early Bently that is well spoken of, but I don't have a copy
because I don't have any of those cars and it's $$$.

For the Solex carbs, and some of the early details, I recommend the Haynes
manual:

VW 1500 & 1600 Type 3, 1963 thru 1973, Haynes 084 (US)
by J H Haynes and D H Stead
published by Haynes North America, Inc, 1974, 1987, 1989, 1993
ISBN 0-900550-84-8

But there are others which are also fairly good, but hard to find:

VW Fastback/Squareback Handbook
by John Fitzgerald
published by Robert Bentley, Cambridge, Mass, 1970
SBN 8376-0042-1
(covers all Type IIIs, 1962-1969)

Volkswagen 1600 Fastback 1965-70 Autobook
by Kenneth Ball
published by Autopress Ltd, Brighton, England, 1971
ISBN 0-85147-220-6

I also like the idiot's guide, if just for the drawings and good karma:

How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive,
A Manual of Step by Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
by John Muir
published by John Muir Publications, Santa Fe, N.M. 1979
ISBN 0-912528-16-8
(a fun book that is entertaining and enjoyable)

I don't care for the Climer's or Chilton's manuals.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org