[T3] Ken's lean exhaust

Mike Fisher fisherfarms at gmail.com
Wed May 10 09:42:26 PDT 2017

Jim sold me my brown Bentley manual for $10 about 10 years ago.  A
librarian friend covered front & back with that wide plastic wrap for books
to preserve it!   I paid 14.95 for the Autobooks from Books4cars, but their
price has gone up!

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 9:35 AM, Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:

> On 10 May 2017 at 9:08, Mara Johnson wrote:
>
> > Hi, which manuals do you recommend for 1966?  Thanks
>
> For years earlier than '68, the '68-71 the Brown Bentley manual is still
> excellent. It's no longer in print, but copies come up on ebay:
>
> Volkswagen Official Service Manual
> Type 3 Fastback and Squareback 1968-1973
> published by Robert Bentley, Cambridge, Mass, 1974
> ISBN 0-8376-0057-X / LPV 997 383 / VSQU
> (excellent book, complete and well written)
>
> It covers most things, except for carbs and some details which changed in
> later cars.
>
> There is also an early Bently that is well spoken of, but I don't have a
> copy
> because I don't have any of those cars and it's $$$.
>
> For the Solex carbs, and some of the early details, I recommend the Haynes
> manual:
>
> VW 1500 & 1600 Type 3, 1963 thru 1973, Haynes 084 (US)
> by J H Haynes and D H Stead
> published by Haynes North America, Inc, 1974, 1987, 1989, 1993
> ISBN 0-900550-84-8
>
> But there are others which are also fairly good, but hard to find:
>
> VW Fastback/Squareback Handbook
> by John Fitzgerald
> published by Robert Bentley, Cambridge, Mass, 1970
> SBN 8376-0042-1
> (covers all Type IIIs, 1962-1969)
>
> Volkswagen 1600 Fastback 1965-70 Autobook
> by Kenneth Ball
> published by Autopress Ltd, Brighton, England, 1971
> ISBN 0-85147-220-6
>
> I also like the idiot's guide, if just for the drawings and good karma:
>
> How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive,
> A Manual of Step by Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
> by John Muir
> published by John Muir Publications, Santa Fe, N.M. 1979
> ISBN 0-912528-16-8
> (a fun book that is entertaining and enjoyable)
>
> I don't care for the Climer's or Chilton's manuals.
>
> --

Eugene, Oregon

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/mr_bojangles500/