[T3] Oetiker clamps?

Daniel Nohejl d.nohejl at gmail.com
Fri May 12 17:40:39 PDT 2017

Over the past two months or so, we chased down a number of fuel leaks in our ’69 Squareback. First, we noticed that both ends of the filler hose in the trunk were leaking. The hose was ancient and delaminating inside and we replaced it. The smell went away but came back a few weeks later. Turns out there was also a leak on the inlet side of the fuel pressure damper on account of a loose clamp….so loose that fuel was dripping to the ground. Snugged it up. A week later the smell came back and it turns out this clamp was loose again. Replaced it. No more leak. Fuel smell returned. Found that the outlet side of the fuel pressure regulator was leaking at the clamp. Trimmed the hose and replaced the clamp. No more leak. Fuel smell returned. Couldn’t find a drip or anything anywhere. After a few days, we decided to look at the where the fuel lines connected to the nipples in the frame up front. Dry. In the rear, they were wet but not quite dripping. Tightened the clamps back up (got a bunch of turns on one of them) and no smell all week long for the first time in a good two months!

This was all with 5/16” FI clamps.

So would Oetiker clamps be a better idea all over the car or are they only practical/desirable in certain locations? They’re not terribly easy to get off, but how often do they need to be replaced? Is it possible to use the clamping tool in most locations or is it too big restrictive? Just curious….