[T3] Vapor Lock-Fuel Boil Off

Jaime Gurrola elpuerco66 at gmail.com
Sun May 21 07:38:37 PDT 2017

On 5/20/17 13:43, type3-vwtype3.org-request at lists.vwtype3.org wrote

> Is engine built on a newer all aluminum engine case? Just asking, as  my
> own 65 Notch has an all aluminum engine case, and I vapor locked 2 mechanical
> fuel pumps with heat coming from the case. If you leave the engine running
> after  a freeway run, does it continue to run afterward? Or does it just
> shut  down?

Running magnesium case. Do not have issues with run-on after shut down.

> One more thing, Does the engine have normal under cylinder cool tins?
> Super cool tins? Or no cool tins? If the later, that's your over heating
> problem.
I've got the super cool tins now but I ran the regular ones and don't
notice a great drop in operating temps.  It does seem to warm up faster now.

I am running an alternator I purchased thru CB Performance.  With a
generator, there is a seal that fits snugly around the opening covering
the gap between the generator and sheet metal. That gap is much larger
with the alternator and it fits off-center in the hole. I had to use a
variety of hoses I split length wise to fit in the sheet metal.  The
venting in the body of the alternator still allows for warm air to
enter, however.
I am going to try and cover part of the alternator venting holes and
hope the air from the air housing is enough to cool it. I'll see what
affect this has on temps.

All this has happened with a mechanical fuel pump.  I was planning
already to install an electric pump/regulator.  We'll see what happens.