[T3] cooling flap troubles

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon May 29 06:22:56 PDT 2017

On 28 May 2017 at 12:21, Earl Schamehorn wrote:

> I'm having a difficult time getting my cooling flap thermostat to have
> enough travel to open, or close, the cooling flaps all the way.

It's fairly common for old thermostats to lack enough range to both fully open
and fully close the flaps. I think early manuals gave a measurement for what
the cold dimension of the thermostat should be, so that if the thermostat
would not "shrink" enough it would be replaced. I'm not sure what that
number was, but even NOS thermostats, sitting on a shelf can have that
problem, because it occurs when air has slowly leaked inside because the
solder sealing of the thermostat was not perfect.

I think you can check for this by seeing if you can squeeze the thermostat
down farther by hand. There's an internal stop in there that sets the minimum
length and the thermostat is supposed to rest against that stop when cold.

These days, when I encounter this, I figure that it's more important that the
flap reach the fully open state, especially since I no longer drive my Type 3s
in subzero weather.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org