[T3] Lights

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Nov 1 15:30:26 PDT 2017

On 1 Nov 2017 at 15:48, dlstiefel wrote:

> A local city police officer in our town who is also the SRO officer for
> our school informed me that there was some one who complained to him that
> someone in an orange VW Fastback is driving around town with no brake
> lights. Of course it was me

That seems odd, Dennis, because I've never thought of the late Type 3s as
having dim brake lights. LEDs would make a difference, but you might want
to make sure you have the right bulbs in there first, and make sure they are
wired up right.

The brake light bulb is a dual filament bulb: One filament is for the running
lights and the other is the brake light. The brake light filament is MUCH
brighter than the running light. If the wiring was swapped around, you'd be
using the dimmer filament for the brakes, which might explain what that
person has noticed. So compare the normal taillights with the brake lights
and make sure the brake lights are brighter.

If they are backwards, the error could be at the taillight assy. or it could be
farther forward.

And even if you can buy a dual LED lamp, if the wiring is reversed, that'll still
give you a bright taillight and a dim brake light.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org