[T3] Lights

Sean Bartnik sjbartnik at mac.com
Wed Nov 1 16:02:55 PDT 2017

Dennis,
It’s interesting - the 12v 21w bulb is pretty much the industry standard for brake lamps and has been for years.  It shouldn’t be any brighter or less bright in our cars than others barring any electrical problems (voltage drops, ground problems, etc) but it does seem that, especially when the sun is brightly shining on the rear of the car, it can be hard to see the brake lights (turn signals too).  I don’t know if it’s poor reflector design or what.  Of course today’s driver is also used to seeing the center stop lamp which has been required on new vehicles since 1985.

Naturally of course the first step would be to make sure your bulbs are as bright as they can be.  If your reflector housings are corroded that can make the light seem dim.  Also if you have corrosion at the brake switches or at the rear light housings, all that can contribute to voltage drops.

If you do decide to switch to LED, I can’t recommend strongly enough CuLayer LED brake lamps from Jim Franzen.  He makes a super-bright LED module that’s a drop-in replacement for the brake light bulb and runs on 6 or 12v.  He makes it in “dual-filament” and “single-filament” versions.  For late Type 3s you would want the dual-filament version.  For ’69 and earlier you’d want the single-filament version since those cars have a standalone brake light bulb.

The web site is http://culayer.com/product/ba15-hp/ <http://culayer.com/product/ba15-hp/>

At $100 each they aren’t cheap but then again that's still cheaper than your insurance deductible when you get rear-ended.

Here’s what they look like on my ’65:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-zmWwDK8/0/5feb97ec/XL/i-zmWwDK8-XL.jpg

The photo doesn’t do them justice; they are very bright day or night.