[T3] Lights

dlstiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Thu Nov 2 08:01:06 PDT 2017

On 2017-11-02 08:20, Jim Adney wrote:
> On 1 Nov 2017 at 20:54, dlstiefel wrote:
>
>> They are brighter when the brakes are applied than when just the tail
>> lights are on.
>
> This sounds like you're comparing the brightness with both of them on
> to the
> brightness with the brake lights alone. If so, that's not the right
> test. It needs
> to be alone to alone.
>
> A bad ground will effect the bright filament more than the dim one, so
> that
> might be a problem. If that's the case, you would see it as a
> difference in
> side to side brightness of the brake lights, because the grounds are
> separate
> and it's unlikely that you'd have exactly the same ground problem on
> both
> sides.
>
> It's also possible that with the new paint you have NO ground at the
> sockets.
> In that case, each bulb still gets a sort of ground back thru all the
> other
> filaments in that side. Test for this by removing all the bulbs from
> each side
> and then check the resistance to ground from the lamp base to a chassis
> ground.
>
> Finally, with standard bulbs, the apparent brigthness is VERY dependent
> on
> the reflectivity of the chrome reflector. If that reflector is
> corroded, or just
> tarnished, it will make a HUGE difference. If it's tarnished, you may
> be able
> to polish it, but if the chrome is corroded or flaking off, the only
> fix is
> replacement.

Actually all I was saying was the bright elements of the 1157 bulbs were
working with the brake lights and the dimmer elements work with the tail
lights. I assume this is the way they are supposed? If not they have
been this way every since I can remember. I will posted a video of the
light function and just let everyone be the judge. Sorry for any
confusion.

Dennis