[T3] On that 73 T-3 horn

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Nov 13 08:31:38 PST 2017

On 12 Nov 2017 at 22:15, William J wrote:

> Jim what would you use to lube the horn contact and slip ring ?

There is special electrical contact grease, loaded with graphite, that would
probably be the best choice, but anything would be better than nothing.

The key is to fix the worn contact spring before things grab and destroy
much larger parts. The contact ring on the underside of the wheel is also
replaceable and might even be available from the dealers, as I suspect it
was also used on Beetles (and I think I've seen references to it on BMWs, so
it may have been a common German approach in that era.)

Up to '70 VW did things completely differently. The ground path was
complex and confusing, but it didn't have this problem. It had its own
problems, but they didn't lead to destruction and they could all be fixed.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org