[T3] Hand Brake

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 16:45:29 PST 2017

Jim has convinced me ... 100% ... :  "Regularly using your Parking Brake
Lever (previously called an  Emergency Brake) is good for the "health" of
the car."
Using the Parking Brake keeps the linkage, cables and rear wheel mechanical
parts moving, "loose" and operational.

The only time I don't "set" the Parking Brake is when the car goes into
it's ~6-month (or longer)  storage period.
I have found applying the Parking Brake when stored, has occasionally
allowed the brake shoes to "bond" to the rear brake drums because of
moisture.

In 2010, after the car had been stored for 9+ years with the Parking Brake
applied, the brake pads & brake shoes had "bonded" to the rotors & rear
brake drums.  To "break loose" the front pads from the rotors, 3 people had
to sit on the front fender while the car had to be moved forward and back
to allow the wheels to turn.  The car had to be driven on a hard surface
road to allow the rear tires/wheels to rotate.  Even then, the linkage,
cables, mechanical parts, etc. had to be removed, lubricated and properly
adjusted.

So I'm convinced:  Like other things; "Use it or Lose it."​

--
Gary "Frito" - '69 Squareback, FI, MT, One-owner
Rockport, TX (winter)