[T3] Clutch Plate Problem, cont'd....

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Oct 29 05:34:07 PDT 2017

On 29 Oct 2017 at 3:22, J. Jonik wrote:

> Add to the previous Clutch Plate Problem post..About 3 hours after
> finding that the gears could only be changed when car wasn't running,
> with nothing done in the in those 3 hours, the gears now won't change
> either engine off or engine running.   It's stuck in reverse
> gear...engine off or engine on.    Can't even get it to neutral.
> This must be a clue to something.

My impression at first was that your clutch isn't releasing. This could be
caused by several things: The pressure plate didn't get bolted all the way
down, the clutch disk is in backwards or it's the wrong one, the pilot bearing
is seized (Did you grease it?) the cable is out of adjustment, or some
combination of those.

If it won't shift now with the engine off, my guess is that the drive train has
stopped with some torque caught in it. Try turning the engine backwards
very slightly, or lift one tire and rotate it back and forth a bit to see if that
relieves the "captured" torque and lets you shift again. Or just release the
parking brake and let the car roll backwards (because it's caught in reverse)
a bit.

If that does't work, the only other thing I can think of is that the shift forks and
"hockey stick" in the nose cone of the tranny have gotten "confused" and out
of position. There's a mechanism that's supposed to make this impossible,
and I don't know if this can wear to the point where the impossible becomes
possible. This would be unfortunate, because it means taking the tranny and
engine out to fix it.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org