[T3] Defeat Device? (Jim Adney)

Phil Hof phil.hof at ostronic.org
Sun Sep 24 17:28:46 PDT 2017

Good sleuthing, Jim.  You got my interest, so I googled it and these articles came up quickly:

https://www.autosafety.org/sites/default/files/imce_staff_uploads/VW%20Defeat%20Device%20EPA%20Prosecution%207-23-73%20Pr.pdf <https://www.autosafety.org/sites/default/files/imce_staff_uploads/VW%20Defeat%20Device%20EPA%20Prosecution%207-23-73%20Pr.pdf>

https://www.autosafety.org/sites/default/files/imce_staff_uploads/VW%20Defeat%20Device%20$120,00%20fine%203-12-74%20Pr.pdf <https://www.autosafety.org/sites/default/files/imce_staff_uploads/VW%20Defeat%20Device%20$120,00%20fine%203-12-74%20Pr.pdf>

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=Fkg0AAAAIBAJ&sjid=nmYEAAAAIBAJ&pg=7202%2C25644 <https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=Fkg0AAAAIBAJ&sjid=nmYEAAAAIBAJ&pg=7202,25644>

Interesting that it was not just VW who had essentially identical issues of cold-temperature EGR and spark advance.  The third article makes this clear.  It also makes clear it was not an excess pollution violation, but a reporting violation.

With all seven of the major automakers having the same issue, it sounds more like a lack of clarity in the EPA requirements than cheating automakers.

Unless you think this was part of a massive collusion involving VW, GM, Ford, Chrysler, AMC, Nissan, and Toyota!

A side note… this kind of problem came at the end of the line for the Type 3, perhaps the final blow that soon afterwords ended sales in the USA, and elsewhere.

-Phil