[T3] body and pan removal

Bobnotch bobsnotch at aol.com
Wed Apr 25 08:52:43 PDT 2018

Hi Doug,
Dave Hall got quite a bit of it. If you do a search in the Samba Gallery (I think I put it under type 3 parts and accessories) I have a couple of pics that show where the all of the bolts are hiding. You'll want to use user Bobnotch for your search.
That said, I've done done several body off's with a type 34 Ghia being the hardest due to the added pieces for the rear kick panel. The biggest things to remember are to unplug the wiring to the brake MC and removing the speedo cable (I can't tell you how easy it is to forget that one). Also under the rear under the gray plastic caps are 2 that like to hide.There's also the 2 bolts that go into the top of the rear subframe from/thru the slotted holes in the floor. There's 11or 14 bolts/screws per side, 2 up at the beam, 6 across the rear, and the 4 I mentioned above.
When it comes time to lift the body off, pull the hood and both rear fenders. Run the strap around the front bulkhead in the trunk, and use the 2 holes at the front of the side air vents for lifting points. This will get you a nice balanced lifting set up. If you're doing a Notch or a T-34, those 2 holes don't exist, as only Squares and Fastbacks have them.
Just pay attention when lifting for any wires or cables that might still be attached. Also, on some years VW used a mastic like sealer that can be a PIA to release, so have a sharp cutting tool handy.
I hope this helps.
Bob