[T3] Full load stop on the MPS

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Aug 4 11:07:21 PDT 2018

On 3 Aug 2018 at 20:01, Keith Park wrote:

> now if I cant get the late system to track properly on my 2L, that
> implies that its more than adjustment that tunes a particular system to
> the car its on, but is it something different in the MPS, like
> different armature, spring tension, aneroids or is the difference only
> in the Brain?  or BOth?  Hmmmm...

Over the D-jet years, Bosch made over 100 different brains, over 100
different pressure sensors, and probably several hundred different
distributors. Each of those combinations was tuned for a particular set of
intake parameters, fuel quality, and market (emission) requirements. There's
no way one could assume that you could grab an alternate set of hardware
and just dive into the pressure sensor and make everything work nice.

If you expect to succeed, you need a starting point that's as close as you can
get to the engine you have, then work from there. At least the Type 3 stuff is
air cooled, but you're still "wandering around in a multi-dimensional
parameter space" (as a friend and former co-worker once phrased it) hoping
to find the sweet spot.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org