[T3] notch seat belt anchor points

Phil Hof phil.hof at ostronic.org
Sat Aug 4 16:28:44 PDT 2018

I think those early cars with the low should belt mounting point did not use combination seat/shoulder belts.  They had a should belt only.    They typically lacked the outer seat belt mounting point form the factory.  The photo cited shows this kind of belt.

VW, like other European carmakers, soon found out this was actually quite unsafe; in an accident the occupant tended to be slid downward and caught by the neck.

So I suspect the change in height was when they went to actual 3-point belts, and not the shoulder-only belt.

-Phil