[T3] notch seat belt anchor points

Soren Jacobsen snj at blef.org
Sat Aug 4 21:53:30 PDT 2018

On 08/04 16:28, Phil Hof wrote:
> I think those early cars with the low should belt mounting point did
> not use combination seat/shoulder belts.  They had a should belt only.
> They typically lacked the outer seat belt mounting point form the
> factory.  The photo cited shows this kind of belt.

Correct.  Any 3-point belt (or simple lap belt) would have needed a
bottom mounting point to be added on the door side of the car.  This
would have been at the dealer level.  I doubt many if any were
installing 3-point belts back then, but you never know.

> So I suspect the change in height was when they went to actual 3-point
> belts, and not the shoulder-only belt.

No, the height change happened for the 1965 model year, but those cars
only had a tunnel mount and the new-and-improved raised B pillar mount.
There was still no mount point on the floor (or heater channel, like the
1967-on cars).

I know this was a 1965 change because my October 1964 Variant has the
raised mount point on the B pillar and when I started driving it I
immediately noticed the improvement (compared to my lower 1963 Bug,
which features the terrible mount position).  Last year I went to
inspect a late 1964 Variant I was interested in buying and noted that it
had the terrible mount point position.

What did happen at the same time that the height changed, though, was a
switch from those 24mm threaded mount points to standard 7/16".  No
ridiculous adapter plugs needed!

Soren