[T3] Tight Engine

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Aug 1 12:43:07 PDT 2018

On 1 Aug 2018 at 11:07, William Jahn wrote:

> isn't it sort of a risk to pull the spark plugs when hot ? My guess is
> Jim suggested doing so with it cold , yet as I said I have no idea what
> the heads are made of .

Yes, I would worry about that, but I think you could get away with it if you
removed the plugs first and coated them with a good antiseize then warmed
up the engine and removed them again. That's a lot of work to go thru, but
less work than tearing down the engine with no idea of what you're looking
for.

> I just wonder how the engine gets it's cool air through the fan since
> it's in a T-3 body .

Yes, that's a problem, but I'm willing to believe that Keith has done this
effectively. Another question might be whether the air passages in the Type
3 body can carry enough air to cool a Type 4 engine. What we know is that
other people have done this and gotten away with it. At least that's the story
they're sticking with.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org