[T3] Tight Engine

Bobnotch bobsnotch at aol.com
Wed Aug 1 13:49:41 PDT 2018

We haven't had any issues with Rob's engine. Remember, these engines are used
to pulling warm air from around the engine bay in a bus. On a 411/412 Wagon, they
use a cooling boot that is actually smaller than a type 3 boot. We used 1 of those
on Rob's. It was NLA back when I got it in the early 2000's.
Russ always kept harping that the T-3 fan was the largest cooling fan ever used on
an air cooled engine. And after seeing a T-4 fan, I can definitely believe it. It's smaller
in diameter, but twice as wide as a T-3 fan. But, there are several T-4 powered t-3's
on the Samba, and most have carbs, with Nate running MS 3. He's also running
a large engine, and is playing with it on SOLO circuits, along with his son taking it up to
138mph at Bonneville last year.
Bob