[T3] Brake Line grommet

Soren Jacobsen snj at blef.org
Sun Aug 5 22:44:00 PDT 2018

On 07/28 12:35, Jim Adney wrote:
> On 27 Jul 2018 at 23:43, Soren Jacobsen wrote:
>
> > Earlier it was mentioned that Bug metal lines are too short for our
> > cars.  If you're not making your own lines (like the OP is), the
> > thing to do is buy a Bus line (211611741K).  They're long enough for
> > a type 3.
>
> Aren't the bus ones a bit too long?

Yes, they're a little bit too long.  Not by much, though.  Taking out
the slack was no big deal when I did it.  No reason to use a Bus line if
one has easy access to a properly sized line, of course.

> I make them from CuNi in just the right length for easy installation.
> They're a bit pricey, but they're a LOT easier to bend into the right
> shape than getting them done in stainless.

Yeah, CuNi really does seem like the way to go.  A while back I ran
across the guys at https://www.cunifer.com and had planned to buy line
and fittings from them do redo everything in one go.  They'll rent you a
nice flare tool, which is great since I've had lousy results with the
cheapo one I have.

I've since abandoned the "replace ALL the metal lines!" plan -- good to
hear you sell the most important (well, most likely to be rusted) line!
I wonder how much difference, if any, there is between single circuit vs
dual circuit cars.  VW lists two different parts, but that could just be
to account for a slightly different bend near the master cylinder.

Soren