[T3] Brake Line grommet

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Aug 6 08:02:44 PDT 2018

On 5 Aug 2018 at 22:44, Soren Jacobsen wrote:

> I've since abandoned the "replace ALL the metal lines!" plan -- good to
> hear you sell the most important (well, most likely to be rusted) line!

Yes, don't bother replacing all the metal lines. Other than the long center
line, the only other line I've EVER had to replace was one on an IRS
diagonal arm.

The diagonal arms on IRS cars have a little tab that can be used to hold the
line down against the arm. When you do that, you create a tiny space for
water and dirt to collect. The lines can rust thru there. VW used those tabs in
the first couple of years, but thereafter the lines were just run parallel to the
diagonal arm but 1/4" away so they don't suffer.

> I wonder how much difference, if any, there is between single circuit
> vs dual circuit cars.  VW lists two different parts, but that could
> just be to account for a slightly different bend near the master
> cylinder.

I hadn't thought of that. I think a single circuit line would have to be a couple
inches longer. I'll do that if anyone needs it.

BTW, I can make any length line from Cunifer tubing; just tell me the length
you need.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org