[T3] Starting Again

matthew n stanfield vw70t3 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 21 14:18:41 PDT 2018

Jim Adney wrote on 8/12/18 2:39 PM:
> Do NOT let anyone talk you into any kind of rubberized or plastic coating
> inside the gas tank. Phosphate coatings are okay, but the rubber ones will
> clog passages in there that you'll never be able to clear.
I talked to several Radiator shops within an hour of my location. Every
single one of them recommended Red Kote
<http://damonq.com/TechSheets/Red-Kote.pdf> for my gas tank. It appears
to be a rubberized liner. I explained to them that i wanted to avoid
rubberized or plastic coatings. They all scoffed. And then proceeded to
sing the praises of Red Kote and how in 25-35 years of using it, they
have never had any returns. And that when done correctly, there was
virtually no chance of clogging the tubes. They nearly all said that
without coating the gas tank, i would be wasting my money to have it
cleaned.

All but one that is. Who is no longer in the coating business, but
offered to power wash the inside of the tank for me. He said i can add
an inline filter. And while not as effective as coating the tank, it
would work.

All that being said, are there additional passageways inside the tank
besides the inlet and outlet that i need to be aware of?

Would just having it cleaned be sufficient? If so, they all said they
use Muriatic Acid to clean out the tank. Is that something i can just do
at home?

--
matthew n stanfield
1970 VW FastBack