[T3] 1970 Fastback FI won't start

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Feb 15 21:23:36 PST 2018

On 15 Feb 2018 at 21:32, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> Jim ... I know about the "two clicks" when the key is turned on and the
> fuel pump is activated.
>
>          You've gone over this listening for the 2 "clicks, numerous times.
>
> But where do the "clicks" come from?

The first click is actually 2 clicks: The FI main power relay and the
fuel pump relay close essentially at the same time, so we only hear
"one" click.

The second click, ~1 second later, is the fuel pump relay opening.
This happens when the brain realizes that there's no sign of the
engine turning over. (If the engine was being cranked by the starter,
or if it started, the fuel pump relay will stay closed.

The main power relay is mounted on the left side of the rear seat
kick panel. (Not to be confused with the rear defroster relay which
is mounted right next to it on '69-'73 cars.)

The fuel pump relay is mounted under the dash, on the "firewall" to
the left of the steering column. It's easy to put your left hand on
it while you turn the key with your right, so you can FEEL the clicks
as it opens and closes.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org