[T3] [Non-DoD Source] Re: Oil Cooler leaking

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Fri Feb 16 10:59:33 PST 2018

Yes removing that left upper tin can be quite a job . You may need runner
sleeves if yours are in sorry shape and be able to reuse the intake spacer
by making new thin paper gaskets for it . Last I had the tin off in the car
was 1986 and I had everything off . I can't recall if I removed the fire
wall tin or was able to sneak both L& R upper tins out . I don't recall
removing any wire harness across the front . If I recall you can bend a few
metal tabs to secure the harness to the firewall tin. Also the throttle
cable goes through the tin of the left side and the fuel pressure regulator
on the right At that time I replaced all the fuel lines and vacuum hoses and
the cool air tubes for the heating system had to remove the connections at
both ends.

 My cooler seals don't leak yet I wanted to at least check the fins just to
know they are not blocked by filth and check the foam seal and while in
there replace the cooler seals .

 It's quite a task something you don't want to rush through . I looked at
mine a few months ago and thought well it does not run hot or leak so for
now I'll leave well enough alone.

 It's as you may know a real back breaker hanging over the engine doing this
work yet since your seals leak you have no choice. I see Jim has a foam
replacement . Mine is a 73 and the foam was in good shape in 97 when I
rebuilt the engine so perhaps they used a better material . Still I'd get
the foam Jim has and any other parts like sleeves and since the head to
runner intake gaskets are NLA plan ahead. I know some use the later FI super
beetle heak spaces they fit yet you still need to make 4 gaskets of thin
paper like printer paper. cip1.com has the sleeves and the head gasket
spacers for the super beetle.