[T3] 71 Squareback MT/FI - Fuel Filter Questions

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Feb 16 14:47:38 PST 2018

On 16 Feb 2018 at 12:07, Wisconsin Spryers wrote:

> I'm in the process replacing the ALL of the old fuel hoses on my 1971
> Squareback (MT/FI).
> While removing the old hoses, I noticed a 2nd fuel filter had been inserted
> in the feed hose coming out of floor pan section on the left side of the
> car before the line enters the engine compartment.
>
> Is this normal? Is there any benefit to adding this 2nd filter?
>
> I wasn't planning on replacing the 2nd filter as I've not seen this
> configuration referenced before. You input would be appreciated.

It's not the normal setup. An additional filter there would probably need to be
metal to take the full 30 psi fuel pressure, whereas the normal OE plastic
filter in the pump inlet line probably sees slightly negative pressure, due to
the filter screen in the bottom of the tank.

I've never run an extra filter there and never wished I had.

An extra filter there MIGHT be useful if the car has been out of service for a
long time and you thought there might be crud in the pump that it would
catch. Otherwise, I don't see a use for it. Our injectors actually come with
tiny inlet filter screens which will filter out fairly small stuff, but they don't
have much capacity. BTW, those inlet screens can be replaced, if
necessary.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org