[T3] 1970 Fastback FI won't start

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Feb 17 06:15:20 PST 2018

On 16 Feb 2018 at 20:07, William J wrote:

> I can't say for certain if I've ever heard the power relay click , I
> never paid any attention since when you key on both relays act at the
> same time

I agree. There are actually 3 clicks: 2 when you turn the key ON and 1 about
1 second later. There's no way to discern the first 2 from one another, so I
always tell people to listen for 2 clicks: 1 and then 1.

There's also no need to discern the first 2 clicks from one another, because
if the fuel pump relay clicks; you know that the main power relay must have
closed. But if you really want to hear the main power relay come on, pull the
white translucent plug off the fuel  pump relay to disable it, and then turn the
key ON. Then, of course, reinstall that plug.

If you don't hear the "2nd" click ~1 second later, then you can ask yourself
what you heard in the first click. At that point, you can reach under the dash
and FEEL if the fuel pump relay comes on. If it's not coming on, then you can
often turn your head and notice that the first click is coming from behind you.

In normal operation, when everything seems to be working, there's no
reason to pay attention to the clicks, but when things aren't going right, that's
when I ask people to listen for 2 (to keep it simple) clicks: 1 and then a "2nd"
click about 1 second later.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org