[T3] 71 Squareback MT/FI - Mystery Hose / Canister

Wisconsin Spryers wispryers at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 13:29:46 PST 2018

In tracing down the various engine hose attachments that I'm need to
replace, I've noticed one hose that looks like it should be coming from a
port in the top side of the elbow that is connected to left upper heat
exchanger. The hose is very brittle and is not actually attached, just
positioned above this port. This hose then runs through the front engine
tin and connects to the left side of a "canister" that is attached to the
underside of the back deck, above the transmission.  On the right side of
this "canister" another hose returns back through the front engine tin and,
I believe attaches to the port on the right side of the oil bath air
cleaner. There is only one port on the right side of the air cleaner so I'm
assuming this is where this hose attaches. It has deteriorated such that
there is only 1-2 inches of the remaining hose reaching into right side of
the engine compartment.

My questions are:

1) What is the purpose of this canister?
2) Is the routing of the hoses correct?
3) Is there any maintenance required on this canister?

Thanks,

Richard Spryer