[T3] my 69 fastback wont start

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Jan 18 06:37:32 PST 2018

On 17 Jan 2018 at 23:18, Mark Reno wrote:

> Its a 69 for sure. I think it is an early 69. I have the original papers
> from the owner. So it was the first year of the VW fuel injection.

That's the 2nd year for the FI. '68 was the first, but the systems in those 2
years are basically the same. The one change that you might see is that the
FI brain went from the early A brain to the B brain that superceeded it. I don't
know exactly when the changeover occurred at the factory, but it was
somewhere in the late '68 to early '69 timeframe. If your car still has the A
brain, it would be worth upgrading it. This has already been done on most of
our '68-9 cars.

> Would running alcohol or lacker thinker be ok to clean the injectors? Or
> do you have a suggestion on what to clean them with?

There are special additives that you can add to the fuel to clean the
injectors, but I've never seen an improvement from those on our cars. Some
styles of injectors seem to need cleaning and some don't; ours don't.
Regardless, this doesn't work until you get the engine running, so I would
suggest dropping the idea at least for now.

If you really want to clean the injectors, you should remove them and take
them to a shop that has an injector cleaner, but I don't think this will help
your problem, and it will surely cause gas hose leaks that will make you wish
you hadn't done it, especially in cold weather.

> I was thinking that maybe the injectorors might be gummed up. And  it's
> not get fuel or not enough fuel.

That's not likely the problem.

Since you've already seen that the injectors are firing, the possible problems
are fewer. If you replaced the condensor, did you take the distributor out? If
so, are you SURE you got it installed ALL the way back down so that the
drive dog is properly engaged? The way to check is to grab the rotor and
twist the shaft. If you can turn it around and around, it's not all the way down.

If necessary, loosen the clamp, then turn the shaft while pushing down on
the distributor. When it finds the correct spot, it will drop down about 1/4".
Then you won't be able to turn it any more (except for the limited amount of
mechanical advance motion.)

Tell us where you're located. There may be someone near you who can
help.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org