[T3] First Steps Engine Reassembly

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Fri Jul 6 10:47:21 PDT 2018

 I recall many cars in America having draft tubes into 64 with an oil filler
cap that was vented through holes in the bottom and a wire mesh filling the
inside and that was the entire vent system until they changed to  PCV which
in it's early form still had the same valve cover vent cap on V8's on one
valve cover and the PCV on the other . Then they had a closed system where
instead of a vented filler cap they added a small filter in the air filter.
When I moved to Calif in 81 I was amazed they had smog pumps on 1965 cars
and EGR valves.

 From what I've seem on the few T-3's I've seen the 72 and 73 had the PCV
system . The main issue now with this is since the PCV is plastic and the
same valve was used on Porsche and VW T-4 is long gone so if it brakes or
fails then what? I've read about using a fixed orfice in the line yet must
be sized proper .

 Due to this I thought of replacing the late two cap breather with an
earlier one with one large cap yet from what I've seen the actual connection
at the oil bath is on the air intake of the oil bath . I don't know if a
later PCV oil bath can be used with that older breather i think you would
need the oil filler with the extra hose connection for it to work. . Also
I'm not sure what's inside the breather meaning are they simply an open box
where they hang over to the rear of the engine rear of the caps or is it
filled with some sort of mesh. I have one spare from a 72 that is all gunked
up yet didn't cut it open in case I might need it. With the PCV system and
venting from the cylinder heads it's a closed system . I have read it keeps
the heads where the rocker shafts exist cleaner or is it just basically an
emissions device . I have not seen how the early one cap breather with one
hose to the oil bath on the air intake side works . In my mind the hose on
the oil bath air intake or the one from the later oil as my 73 has it's
still air intake just the oil bath has two ports which is basically to allow
only filtered air through the heads and push rod tubes into the crankcase
where you really don't want dust or dirt to enter.

  The Bentley does a poor job . on page 38 engine section it shows two
gaskets on either side of the oil deflector plate . I recall on the last
gasket set I got for my car the deflector plate had no ridge it was flat and
needed the gaskets to seal.