[T3] First Steps Engine Reassembly

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Jul 6 14:50:01 PDT 2018

On 6 Jul 2018 at 10:47, William J wrote:

> The Bentley does a poor job . on page 38 engine section it shows two
> gaskets on either side of the oil deflector plate . I recall on the last
> gasket set I got for my car the deflector plate had no ridge it was flat
> and needed the gaskets to seal.

Okay, I missed that. So the Bentley shows 2, the parts book shows 1, and
I'm saying 0. I guess you can take your pick.

When I've assembled engines, I've found that 2 gaskets put the breather
stand too high, and I don't remember any gaskets on the new engines I've
disassembled. It should not be hard to get that joint to seal with no gaskets,
since both faces are nicely machined flat surfaces, even if the louver plate
has no ridges.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org