[T3] First Steps Engine Reassembly

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jul 8 10:02:05 PDT 2018

On 7 Jul 2018 at 11:12, Jeff C wrote:

> Engine-side fan housing - All is good and installed with Loctite! RTV later
> today.

That will work as long as there is plenty of thread engagement in the case.

> Oil breather assembly - I have the proper metal piece. Which type of gasket
> sealant is needed here? I have type 1A on hand.

Don't know what 1A is, but anything will do as long as it isn't so stiff that you
can't get the stand off next time. You don't use gasket compound on paper
gaskets, or just use very light compound, so the gaskets can be removed
next time without tearing.

> Oil filler tube - I managed to find a proper gasket in my pile of gaskets!
> Which type of gasket sealant is needed here? I have type 1A on hand.

Make SURE the flange is straight, then just very light or no gasket sealant.

> Oil cooler - I have a late cooler and a late case and the proper seals.
> Interesting that the holes in the case are 9.7mm and 11.4mm in diameter. I
> also have the plastic mesh material and a large washer that goes inside.

The inner holes are different diameters, but the larger counterbores are what
has to fit the seals. Sounds like this must have come from a '70, if you have
the nylon "scrubber" in the breather. That will work well, as long as you don't
drive it in freezing weather.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org